Fire Station #8
Designed to achieve LEED Silver certification upon completion, METTKO successfully worked within the stringent timeframes of the stimulus program (Canada Action Plan) to deliver a successful project outcome.
The new fire station recently obtained LEED Gold Certification. This fire station uses approximately 60% less energy and provides a proportionate percentage of savings on greenhouse gas emissions.
Green Features of Fire Station #8 include:
Energy Saving Measures
- A highly efficient building envelope which includes 50% additional insulation to perimeter walls, foundation and roof to reduce heat loads.
- Fibreglass-framed high performance glass windows were located and sized to minimize electric light usage and give workers a healthy exposure to natural light, ventilation and views. The thermal performance for these windows is 30% better than aluminum windows.
- The high-efficiency heating system includes a solar wall to preheat fresh air and a heat recovery system to transfer wasted energy back into 100% fresh air supply. This system is 60% more efficient than a standard HVAC system.
- Light-coloured roof materials were selected to reduce roof temperatures which lowers the heat island effect and urban temperatures. Less energy is used to reduce interior temperature.
- Partnered with Burlington Hydro to supply and install a 10 kW Solar Array System on the exterior perimeter of the station which feeds energy back to the grid system.
Water Saving Measures
- A seasonal storm pond has been integrated into the property to reduce water run-off from the site.
- A regenerating and water efficient landscape has been incorporated to reduce water use.
- Occupancy sensors and low flow fixtures have been included to reduce water usage.
- Waste Management/Reduction
- 75% of waste was diverted from landfills
- Materials used were 15% recycled content
- Close to public transit
- 20% of materials were manufactured locally
- Optimized indoor air quality by using low emitting materials (paints, carpets, etc.), indoor chemical and pollutant control
- Designed people spaces for high quality natural lighting with 90% of occupied space having views to exterior